I like churros. They’re those Spanish style doughnut things that you dip into chocolate sauce. I also like French toast. So, I thought, why not combine the two delicious things and make something that has elements of both without the faff of deep frying or making a chocolate sauce. And so my churros style French toast was born. It came into this world as an unknown, but shall remain as a heavenly figure gracing my kitchen table on lazy Sunday mornings. It’s really very good.
What you need:
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 2 slices of good bread
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- Some fruit, if you fancy it
What you do:
- Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla together in a shallow bowl until combined.
- Dunk the slices of bread into the eggy mixture and allow them to soak it up before turning the bread over and repeating the process on the other side. I like to use a good bloomer loaf, sliced thickly.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and once frothy, add the bread in. Cook for about two minutes until it’s lovely and golden, then flip over and do the same on the other side.
- Once the bread is golden and crisp at the edges, it’s done. Mix the sugar and cinnamon on a board or plate and immediately dunk the hot eggy bread into it, coating evenly on both sides.
- Warm the Nutella in a microwave for about 10 seconds to loosen it, then drizzle over the French Toast and add some fruit on top if you wish. Strawberries go surprisingly well with cinnamon, raspberries would be good too. Now tuck in.